Nov. 25, 1940: Company C, 192nd Tank Battalion inducted into Federal Service
Compiled by Sgt. 1st Class Joshua Mann, Ohio Army National Guard Historian
Formerly the 37th Tank Company, Company C, 192nd Tank Battalion was inducted into federal service on Nov. 25, 1940 at the unit armory in Port Clinton, Ohio. The company was part of a composite tank battalion made up of National Guard units from Ohio, Wisconsin, Illinois and Kentucky. Company C was sent to Fort Knox, Kentucky for training before participating in the Louisiana Maneuvers in 1941.
In November 1941, the unit was mobilized to the Philippines where it was stationed on Dec. 7, 1941, when the Japanese attacked the island and it became the first American tank unit to engage enemy armor in tank-to-tank combat during World War II. Company C earned three Presidential Unit Citations during its heroic defense of Bataan before the American forces surrendered on April 9, 1942. The men of Company C remained prisoners of war until they were liberated in 1945.
Photos from Ohio Army National Guard Historical Collections